Here's another baby quilt. Ahhh...babies! Best reason in the world for making quilts! I made this one for my cute friend Bridgett who just had her 3rd baby too. She and I had been planning a double wedding for our children--since she had two boys and I had two girls. When I found out I was having another girl I hoped she would have another boy so we could just make it a triple wedding. But alas, she had a girl! It's ok though, because she is the CUTEST thing ever. Seriously. She has awesome hair. And her name is Ruby. Love her! So this is her quilt:
I had intentions of making baby quilts for Bridgett's other kids, but this is the first time I actually made it happen! Yes! 3rd time's the charm! I asked her if she had specific colors she wanted and she said, "Not really, I trust you." So let's just hope she's glad she trusted me when she sees it! :)
I didn't really have much in mind to start this quilt other than a picture of a scrappy quilt I had seen Bridgett like on Facebook months earlier. So I saw some fabric I thought she might like...floral but not super girly, and kind of retro. The fabric is PB and J by Basic Grey for Moda. So I bought 2 charm packs and tried to think of a good way to use them. Inspiration struck when I looked through the fabric the first time. I thought the easiest thing would be to just cut the charm squares in half and arrange them in the pattern of the one of the fabrics...this one:
I put the quilt together by laying it out on the floor and sewing it together a little at a time. The smarter way to do this would have been to use a design wall, but I didn't have space for one in NH. So originally I used all the fabrics in the charm pack, but after sewing half of it together I decided I didn't like the darker reds. So they were unpicked and pulled out which was annoying but it had to be done. I really wanted to finish the top of the quilt before the move, but that didn't happen...so I packed it away and we moved. Then it took me a couple of months to pull it back out and another month or so to finish it. It shouldn't have taken that long, but the edges and corners took a while. Since I was just making it up as I went along I had another baby quilt that I used as a guide for the size and I laid it all out on top of the other quilt. But it wasn't exactly the size I wanted and everything kept getting shifted around. So I would think I was done with one section, then I'd stand back and realize the angles weren't quite right so I needed to add more pieces. Finally I got smart and made a rectangle on the carpet with some painters tape that was exactly the right size so I would know where and how much more fabric I needed to add.
I quilted it using a Baptist fan groovy board. It only took me 2 hours to quilt it and the quilting is perfect. I love groovy boards!
I backed it in this cute floral print from the PB an J line and bound it in the matching navy textured print. I think I love the back of this quilt more than the front...the leftovers are probably going to become a dress for one of my girls. Super cute.
Hope Miss Ruby likes her quilt!!
UPDATE: There is now a pattern for this quilt! Get it HERE!