Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Doll Quilts, etc.

Here are a couple of mini quilts I finished yesterday. I made them for my oldest daughter who is turning 3 in a few days. I have been getting a little crazy with the presents. Don't ask me why I think a 3-year-old needs all the junk I have been making and buying for her--I couldn't tell you. Anyway, for Christmas we got her a dollhouse, and I have been watching her use her own big blanket and some burp rags as blankets for the dolls. So for her birthday I decided to make a mini quilt to go on the bed in her dollhouse.


This is the first one I made. Since it was so small (9 x 12) I decided applique was the quickest method to use. I ironed fusible web onto the back of a few strips of fabric, peeled the backing off and cut the strips into random square-ish shapes. Then I ironed them on and stitched them all down with a straight stitch. I quilted it with little baby flowers, but sadly you can't really see them. Oh well...it only took about 10 minutes total to load and quilt it. If only all the quilts I made were that fast!


Then, being the obsessive girl that I am, of course I had to "try it on" the bed the minute I had it done. This involved sneaking into my little girls room while she was sleeping and snatching the little bed out of the dollhouse so I could see if it fit. Close enough! Then this morning I slapped it on the bed and snapped a few pictures when she wasn't looking. I love being sneaky!



So after I had cut all the pieces for the first quilt, I still had a few strips left over that already had the fusible web on the back, so I figured why waste it? I'll put it on the back! Then I had an even better idea--I'll make two quilts! (Cause two quilts are always better than one, right?). So I cut some of the strips up at random angles and ironed them on. I decided to just quilt around the shapes for this one. Binding these was not difficult, but it is frustrating that when you make a quilt this small, the imperfections seem to be multiplied by a factor of 1000. It drives me a little crazy that I couldn't get the binding not to look wavy and crooked...but what do you do?


While I was making this quilt I had it in my head that it would be for the living room--I was thinking it would be good as a throw for the little couch...but really...what 3-year-old knows what a "throw" is? Ha ha. I know I am funny. The dollhouse came with a little purple scrap of fabric that we assumed was supposed to be a rug, but she uses it as a blanket of sorts for when Tinkerbell falls asleep on the couch...so I thought maybe she could use this quilt as a rug. Whatever.





So I also made Miss Madi a couple other things...an apron and a dress. The apron because she has recently become my little helper in the kitchen (and is perhaps the messiest child alive) and because she looks a little silly wearing one of my aprons...way too big for her. I just sort of made this up as I went along. I got the fabric at Hobby Lobby--it's duck cloth but it isn't too heavy or stiff and after I washed it it felt really nice. It only took me about an hour and a half total to make, and it looks a lot like mine. I think she is going to love it.



The dress...well she is the queen of wearing dresses. She loves to twirl. I have made several little dresses for her in the past, and they are all getting too small...so I was planning on making a few more this spring. A couple weeks ago we were in the laundry room and she was looking at the little red dress on the Clothesline wall hanging and she said, "Mom, I want to wear that dress." So I made one in her size. I already had the red polka dot fabric that I actually bought last year with the intention of making her a little dress...but I decided I didn't want her to look like Mini Mouse so I stashed it. Well I was more than happy to pull it out last week to make this dress! I love it when I already have exactly the fabric I want/need! I sort of used McCalls 5836 as the pattern. But pretty much the only thing I followed was the bodice pattern. I added more length and width to the skirt, gathered it all instead of making pleats and made up my own straps. Easy easy. Finished it in a couple of hours. I am considering adding some ruffles along the top edge of the bodice, but we'll see if that gets done in time for her birthday. Now all I need to do is make that princess cake, and we'll be all ready for the big THREE!


4 comments:

  1. Wow...I wanna be three again;) LOL;) I love those little mini dollhouse quilts....they look like they could become addicting;) And she is going to twirl for days in the dress;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilts...it is a aaah moment to see your pictures. Love your blue quilt with stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so, so adorable! All of these and so is the quilt for little Max - what a talent you have. I'm excited for you and your role playing little doll that is turning 3 - what a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it all. You're perfect for dressing up the house, and it's instant gratification too. Way to go!!!!!! I want to quilt again, so I'll live through you.

    ReplyDelete