Gold + White Baby Quilt


The first time I tried sushi I hated it. I hated the smell, the taste, and don't even get me started on the textures. Ick. The second time I tried it, I hated it too. There are lots of people who LOVE sushi. And a few of those people, upon discovering that I am not a fan, have told me that it is an "acquired taste." Every time I hear that phrase, I can't help asking--Why on earth would you keep eating something you don't like to the point that you finally acquire a taste for it? I totally don't get it. Needless to say, I probably won't be acquiring the taste for sushi...no one has been able to talk me into a third time. ;) 
So what does this have to do with quilting, you ask? Maybe nothing. It's just that, lately I've realized that my taste in colors has changed in a way I never thought it would. Apparently if you eat something enough times, even if it is revolting, eventually you can come to love it.  I guess appreciation of a color can be similarly "acquired." Who knew? Not by eating it of course, but by trying it out...by giving it a chance (or two or twenty). Gold has never been my favorite color. I have always thought of it as kind of gaudy...I don't wear gold jewelry and I never, ever thought I would use it in a quilt. But here we are...


Last month, my cute friend Abbey had a sweet baby girl. I wanted to make her a quilt, but I knew it had to be one I could finish fast (sound familiar?). I decided to use the same concept as this easy as pie zigzag baby quilt - but with a different design. I was going to surprise Abbey, but I wanted her to love the quilt, so I asked what colors she was doing for the nursery to get an idea of what she liked. Gold and white, she said. Gold and white? Gold? Eh, I thought. Gold must be trendy right now. I was slightly resistant to the idea at first--remember--gold has never been my fave. But then Abbey started texting me pictures of some of the stuff she liked, including this darling white and gold polka dot quilt from Pottery Barn...

(image from Pottery Barn Kids)

Once I saw Abbey's vision for the room, I knew I could easily make a gold quilt. After all, I wanted to make something she would love, right? And gold is what she would love. So I spilled the beans and told Abbey I was going to make her a quilt (so she wouldn't buy one). I used the PB quilt and crib bumper as inspiration and got to work. I mocked up 6 or 7 different designs and we both liked this one the best.


The applique on the front was designed in Inkscape. I've got loops on the brain right now, so this design fit right in with my current personal quilting trend. The gold metallic fabric is from the collection "Hope and Love" by Whistler studios for Windham fabrics. I found it at Hawthorne Threads and it was exactly what I had hoped-it's metallic, but not so much that it's tacky. I used fusible web to attach the shape to the background and then stitched around it in metallic gold thread. It really sparkles, sadly you can't really see that in the pictures. 


For the quilting, I was trying to echo the applique design and the feel of the inspiration crib bumpers. I thought this lovely panto fit nicely- it is called Chantilly Lace. I added the small circles in as well using a groovy board. I was pleased with how it turned out, but as as usual, there was a lesson to be learned. When I planned to use the panto, I neglected to take into account that I would run into the applique design, and it doesn't line up perfectly. Thus, it looks a little goofy in a few places, but overall it works.


Of course the backing had to be gold polka dots! The fabric is Spot On Metallic in Blanc by Robert Kaufman. It matches the gold on the front perfectly. The tiny dot binding is from the same line and is also metallic. I love it!


I really love the way this quilt turned out. I think the gold makes it look dainty and perfect for a new baby girl. Abbey loves it too! So I guess the moral of this story is...just because you dislike something right now, doesn't mean you always will. Under the right circumstances, your tastes may change! Maybe I'll give sushi another try...maybe. :) Happy New Year!