Little Watermelon Quilt


Watermelon quilts are fun...so here is another one! After I made the original Watermelon Wedge Quilt, I had no plans to EVER make the quilt again. Several people asked if I would make them one or if I was going to write a pattern for it...and I told them all the same thing: NOPE! (I hope you are all hearing Olaf's voice when I say NOPE!--we are a bit obsessed with the movie Frozen right now!) Anyway, the original quilt was a kind of a nightmare to piece--and it took way more time than I usually like to spend on one quilt! Of course it was worth it in the end...but I had no desire to ever make another one and could not imagine how I would make a pattern for such an obstinate quilt. But then one day a couple months ago I started really trying to think about how I could pattern it...and it finally occurred to me to just make it smaller! :) The larger size is fun, but seriously, I haven't been daring enough to use it as a picnic blanket yet, and it is hard to display the whole thing. The smaller one will be more useful for me I think!


So this little quilt is the same design as the original...just half the size and about three thousand times faster to make! And I figured as long as I was making it smaller, I might as well make it easier too...the angles on this make it very easy to mess up, so rather than pieced, this one is entirely appliqued using fusible web. I'm sure it could be made using other applique methods, but since fusible web is my go-to method, that's what I did. And while normally I might be concerned about the stiffness of the quilt using fusible web, with this one I don't think it is a big deal--since the size is perfect for decor. It makes a great table topper or wall hanging--and stiffness on those types of quilts isn't necessarily a bad thing!


I made this using fabric I had in my stash...since I collected fabrics for a watermelon quilt for almost 5 years, I had several to choose from! :) And I just can't help myself...that black Alexander Henry dot fabric is my favorite! I seem to use it every time I need a black accent! 


And for the back I finally got to use that Timeless Treasures watermelon rind fabric!! Haha! It's perfect!


And for the quilting...I agonized for days. I don't know why I make this so hard every time. I'm just too picky I guess! :) So I had planned to do something entirely different. I had the whole thing loaded on the quilting frame, had just put the baby down for a nap and was on my way downstairs to start quilting it when I passed the neglected pile of clean laundry. I stopped for a minute to fold some of it and in the process, came across one of my kitchen towels that had a raised square pattern. Inspiration! I guess there is a good reason to work before play sometimes! :) These spaced squares were easy too since I had already drawn a 2" grid on the quilt--I just stitched inside each grid square, 1/4 inch away from the lines. I love it!


And of course the good news is that finally everyone can have their own summery watermelon quilt because the pattern is done! You can get it HERE