Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Square Rings Quilt


Here is quilt I made several months ago. I actually finished it up about a week before we moved...luckily...because I knew if I didn't do it before we left Minnesota, it would never get done!


I made this quilt for my friend Lorie. She asked me ages ago if I would make her a quilt. I told her I would, and asked her to get me some paint chips in the colors she wanted. I figured I could just whip up one more quilt...and then I got the paint chips. Let's just say they were colors that I was not used to working with. I had nothing in my stash. I hunted around for a few months for fabrics that matched, but the only things I could find (that weren't hideous) were solids, or near solids. So I finally bought a bunch of quilter's linen because that was the only thing that was even close to the right colors. I started mocking up different quilt designs and sending them to Lorie, but it didn't seem to me like there was one that she was really in love with. So I took a little break to work on other quilts while I waited for inspiration to strike...


...which it inevitably did in the form of this fabulous stencil (above) that I saw at the Paducah quilt show. It is made by The Crafter's Workshop. They have so many cool designs...any one of them could have been an amazing quilt, but I chose to try the rounded squares since I have been loving that shape lately. Oh, and I didn't tell Lorie what I was doing...I decided that I'd just surprise her and hope that she liked it! :) 


I mocked this all up in inkscape, using a picture of the stencil as a guide. I figured out the colors, and measurement of each shape. Then I printed out the corner of each square, cut each square out of fabric and rounded the corners and cut out the centers using a rotary cutter. I used Bonash (fusible powder) to attach the shapes to a large piece of background fabric and secured them with a blanket stitch in matching thread. 


For the quilting on this one I decided on straight 1/2 inch lines in the background and loops inside the shapes, all in matching thread. Easy, and I like the way it turned out.


Quilts made for friends are the best!!

10 comments:

  1. Cool quilt! I love how you come up with your inspiration. You're so crafty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you came out of lurkdom!! hehehe sorry couldn't resist :-)
    But I am so glad you posted a pic of it. And I can say I saw it in person and it is awesome!! Happy Turkey Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love this quilt!
    Lucky Lorie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this design. Fabulous. And the quilting you chose to do really complements it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You never cease to amaze me! I don't even have a blanket stitch on my sewing machine, so I just can't do these cool applique ones with confidence. I must look into this Bonash stuff though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way your quilt turned out! The pattern looks fantastic, I love it! The loopy quilting looks awesome mixed with the straight line stitching. Lucky friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lorie love it I bet! Great design. Love what you're up to. Talented as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, love it! I started making my bed after I brought it home and I show it to everyone when they come over. I know it wasn't Cynthia's typical color scheme, but she did an amazing job on this quilt. I am completely honored to own a Cynthia Muir original!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just fabulous!!! I'm having a hard time picturing how you put this together for some reason! Did you put them all on one big piece? Or make larger blocks and then put them together? Either way, it turned out fantastic! I've not heard of bonash... and now I know I must look into it! Hope you have a great new year!

    ReplyDelete