English Garden



Here's my latest quilt...it is FINALLY done! I say finally because I bought the fabric about 3 years ago--and now it is finally a quilt! I had been wanting to make a quilt for my grandma and this fabric was practically shouting "Grandma will love this!" at me --and BONUS-- I got a screamin' deal on it! It was a kit that came with a pattern, but I didn't love the pattern, so I kept looking for another one--meanwhile the fabric collected dust in my stash. Well last summer I finally found a pattern that I liked and started working on it. In my typical fashion, I worked on it like crazy for a few days, and got quite a bit of it done, but eventually I got bored with it and started working on other projects. Then I cleaned my quilting room and it went in the closet where it sat until about a month ago when my mom came out to visit me and help with my new baby. Since the quilt is for my mom's mom, I decided to work on the quilt while she was here. So I dragged it all back out of the closet and had the blocks nearly done by the time she left...then I lollygagged around for another week or so getting the borders put on, and quilting it! I don't know why I feel the need to explain all that--I am just glad my grandma is still alive after the 3 years it took me to make her a quilt!



I found this pattern, titled "English Garden" in the April 2007 issue of McCall's Quilting. My grandma loves plants and flowers and had a really pretty, really BIG garden in her yard (think secret garden--it had high fences around it and everything!). It has since grown over as my grandparents have gotten too old to take care of it. I wish I had a picture of it because it was amazing! Anyways, I think my grandma will like the title of this quilt as much if not more than the quilt itself ;) And I thought it only fitting that I take some pictures of this quilt in my neighbors flower garden!



I had so much fun quilting this quilt! I used groovy boards, stencils and a little free hand - here are some close-ups --not perfect, but fun! I actually tried to copy some of the quilting on the one in the magazine because I thought it was so pretty...



I am not a pro at feathers--groovy boards and stencils are my best friends for anything feathered!



Here's a picture of the back...I think it looks pretty cool



Grandma is going to love it! (I hope).